Linda Smith (R) of VancouverFrom: "Congressional Races - Washington District 3" page in "All Politics" section of CNN.com website (http://cgi.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/candidates/election.guide/text/WA03.shtml; viewed 1 December 2005):
Challenger - Current House Member
- Born: July 16, 1950, La Junta, Colo.
- Education: Hudson's Bay H.S., graduated, 1968.
- Military Service: None.
- Occupation: Tax preparation centers manager; tax consultant.
- Family: Husband, Vern; two children.
- Religion: Assembly of God.
- Political Career: Wash. House, 1983-87; Wash. Senate, 1987-95.
Linda Smith (R)
BORN: July 16, 1950, La Junta, Colo.
EDUCATION: Hudson's Bay High School, diploma, 1968
FAMILY: Husband, Vern; two children
RELIGION: Assembly of God
OCCUPATION: Tax-preparation-center manager; tax consultant
POLITICAL CAREER: Washington House, 1983-87, Senate, 1987-94; U.S. House, 1994-
Smith's trip to Congress began with a last-minute write-in campaign in the 1994 primary, the first time a Washington candidate had won a primary in such a fashion. On Capitol Hill, she has relegated her incendiary social conservatism, which earned her a perfect 100 rating from the Christian Coalition, to the back burner while she concentrates on the issue of campaign-finance reform.