Return to Famous Adherents page|
Influential, Notable, Celebrity Adherents of Transcendentalism
- Ralph Waldo Emerson - essayist, author, leading exponent of Transcendentalism
- Henry David Thoreau - poet, essayist, abolitionist; best known for Walden
- Walt Whitman - American poet (Leaves of Grass, etc.), humanist
- Nathaniel Hawthorne - immensely influential 19th-century American novelist
- Herman Melville - influential novelist, author of Moby-Dick
- Amos Bronson Alcott - noted teacher, author and Utopian; founder of the Fruitlands; father of children's author Louisa May Alcott
- William Ellery Channing - poet (nephew and namesake of leading Unitarian preacher Dr. William Ellery Channing)
- Margaret Fuller - (1810-1850) journalist, women's rights activist
- Orestes Brownson - (1803-1876) New England intellectual, activist, preacher and labor organizer; best known for his affiliation with the New England Transcendentalists
- Frederick Henry Hedge - New England Unitarian minister who became the founder of the Transcendental Club and active in the development of Transcendentalism
- Theodore Parker - (1810-1860) reformer in the Unitarian church, and an influential Transcendentalist
- George Putnam - Unitarian minister who was co-founder of the famous Transcendental Club
Famous Transcendentalists / celebrity adherents of Transcendentalism webpage copyright © 2005 by Adherents.com.
Web page created 2 November 2005. Last modified 9 November 2005.
We are always striving to increase the accuracy and usefulness of our website. We are happy to hear from you. Please submit questions, suggestions, comments, corrections, etc. to: email@example.com.