< Return to Famous Adherents page
Famous members of the
Community of Christ
formerly named the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS)
The Community of Christ is the current name of the Christian denomination that was previously named the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (often abbreviated RLDS). Members of this denomination were sometimes called "Missouri Mormons," to differentiate them from "Utah Mormons" (i.e., the Latter-day Saints who followed Brigham Young with the main, larger body of the church founded in 1830 by Joseph Smith). The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints officially changed its name to the Community of Christ in 2000 (going into effect 1 January 2001). For the most part, members of the Community of Christ no longer refer to themselves as "Mormons." The Community of Christ is today regarded by many as simply another liberal Protestant denomination.
- Joseph Smith III - President of RLDS Church from 1860 until his death in 1914, incl. era of "Reorganization"; son of Joseph Smith Jr., the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement
- Frederick M. Smith - President of RLDS Church from 1914 until his death in 1946; son of Pres. Joseph Smith III
- Israel A. Smith - President of RLDS Church from 1946 until his death in 1958; son of Pres. Joseph Smith III
- W. Wallace Smith - President of RLDS Church from 1958 until he retired in 1978; son of Pres. Joseph Smith III; first denomination leader to retire to "emeritus" status rather than serving as President until death
- Wallace B. Smith - President of RLDS Church from 1978 until he retired in 1996; son of Pres. W. Wallace Smith; oversaw construction of temple and headquarters in Independence, Missouri and first ordinations of women
- W. Grant McMurray - President of the RLDS/Community of Christ denomination from 1996 to 2004; oversaw name change of denomination from "Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" to "Community of Christ"; resigned as the result of "personal and family issues"; first president of the denomination who was not a descendant of Joseph Smith Jr.
- Stephen M. Veazey - President of the Community of Christ since 3 June 2005
- Jeffrey Lundgren - left the RLDS church, formed a tiny splinter group and organized the murder of 5 people (the "Kirtland killings")
- Leonard Boswell - U.S. Representative from Iowa's 3rd District
- Heman C. Smith - (1850-1919) author, minister, editor and lecturer; general historian of RLDS Church; author of the 4-volume authorized history of RLDS Church
- Marietta Walker - (1834-1930) influential editor of RLDS newspapers, periodicals; author of many non-fiction religious books
- Alfred Yale - (1913-1984) non-fiction author, novelist (Life and Letters of Paul; Ordinances & Sacraments of the Church; The Priesthood Manual; My Friend Paul, a Novel)
Famous members of the Community of Christ / Famous RLDS / Famous Reorganized Latter Day Saints / Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints page copyright © 2005 by Adherents.com.
Web page created 20 July 2005. Last modified 26 December 2005.
We are always striving to increase the accuracy and usefulness of our website. We are happy to hear from you. Please submit questions, suggestions, comments, corrections, etc. to: email@example.com.